Home > Frequently Asked Questions > Recording - Official Records

Faq Menu

Recording - Official Records

What is the Recording process?
Documents are reviewed to make sure they meet Florida Statute requirements. They are then recorded, quality controlled and returned.
How can I get a copy of the Official Records documents?

Most documents are viewable on our website under the Online Services tab, then click Recording-Search. If the document is not viewable an electronic certified copy can be requested at clerkecertify.com/OrderOfficialRecords.

You can also write to us at:

  • Charlotte County Justice Center
  • 350 E. Marion Avenue
  • Punta Gorda, FL 33950
  • Attn: Recording Research
How can I determine if there are any liens on my property?
You may use our web site to search for records from 1921 to the present by property owners name.
How do I transfer property or add/change a name on a deed?
  • The clerks are not permitted to give legal advice. We are not attorneys or schooled in legal processes.
  • You may hire an attorney or Title Company to prepare the Deed or you may prepare the Deed yourself.
  • We do not provide the forms. If you choose to prepare it yourself, you may purchase the forms at an office supply store, or search the internet. WE DO NOT PROVIDE BLANK DEED FORMS
  • Recording fees are $10.00 for the first page of a document and $8.50 for each additional page of a document.
  • Deeds require a transfer sale price to appear on the Deed, check stub, or a separate paper.
  • Documentary Stamp taxes are due on all transfer of property at the rate of 70 cents per $100 of the transaction sale price, rounded up to the nearest hundred.
  • If adding or deleting a name to a Deed and there is an outstanding mortgage on the property, then Documentary Stamps will be due. You may call the Department of Revenue at 1-850-488-6800 for assistance in determining the amount of Documentary Stamps that will be due.
  • If there is no transfer sale price, then the minimum Documentary Stamps due will be 70 cents.
  • All deeds require the following information:
    • Date of instrument.
    • Grantee’s complete mailing address.
    • Consideration amount.
    • Complete legal description of the property.
    • Signature of all grantors with names printed beneath the signatures.
    • Two separate witnesses, with their names printed beneath their signatures.
    • If notarized in FL, there must also be a completed "Prepared By Statement".
    • Notary venue including State & County, whether the person was personally know or showed ID (and type of ID shown), date document was notarized, notary’s signature, seal and commission expiration date.
I am interested in finding out the history of a parcel of land I am thinking about purchasing. How can I get this information?
The act of recording public documents is one that the Clerk has performed since given the duty in the State Constitution of 1832. Every county in every state across the nation has property records detailing the transfer of lands. Each time a land transaction takes place it is "recorded" in the Official Records of the county in which the property is located. This method provides public notice so that anyone who looks in the county's Official Records can see who owns, or has an interest in, a property. In most counties you can trace the ownership of property back to the early 1900's. Prior to that, record of certain lands could be difficult to find as not all counties had the boundaries they now have.
Where do I obtain blank deed forms?
Legal forms are available at most office supply stores. The Clerk's office is not able to provide assistance with form preparation. Questions regarding how to fill out a form should be directed to a legal professional. If you are unsure of the type of form or how to fill out the form, an attorney is recommended.
How do I remove my deceased spouse's name from my deed?
It is suggested that you record the death certificate. This does not physically change your original deed, but puts the information in public record that the person is deceased. You will need to contact the Property Appraiser to let them know of the death and if you are eligible for widow/widowers exemption on a homestead property. Property Appraisers can be reached at 941-743-1593 or www.ccappraiser.com. For any other changes to the deed we suggest that you seek legal advice.
Will the Clerk's Office accept documents with electronic signatures for recording purposes?
Based on F.S. 668.50 the Clerk's Office will accept electronic signatures, by electronic means only. The document must be submitted through one of our ERecording Vendors.